Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Southwestern grilled cheese with chili

The chili in this recipe was super easy to make as I make it every year- just some black beans, garlic, crushed tomatoes, chili powder, and vegan ground beef in the slow cooker, as well as the staple cashews. But the new recipe here is the grilled cheese: First I took one chopped up sweet potato, 1 sliced yellow and 1 sliced red bell pepper- I heated these up in a skillet in some olive oil. Once cooked I set aside. I also mixed a bowl of 1 can kidney beans and 1/2 cup salsa, mashed together. Using Daiya's havarti wedge I sliced thin pieces of cheese and placed on either side of two pieces of bread, then on top of one I placed the sweet potatoes and pepper mixtures, on the other some of the bean-salsa mixture. These were then placed together in sandwich from and grilled in a skillet with vegan margarine. Spicy!

No comments: