Sunday, July 6, 2008

nyc time #2

it's been awhile since I have written...mainly because I started anesthesia this past week, and damn it is rough. The hours are roughly 7am until 6:30pm with a half hour lunch break. The kicker is you are either on call or on late every other day...if on call I could get paged in any time from 7pm until 8am the next day, or on the weekends it goes from 8am until 8am the next day. My first night on call, Monday, I got home at 6pm, showered, and was called back in at 6:15 and was there until 1am, got home at 1:30am and had to get back up at 6am to go back in for the day. If late, you stay to wrap up the last surgeries of the day, normally until 7-8pm. I was on late Wednesday and was there until 8pm. At least I am learning a lot, but it is SO tiring. I am already counting don until I move on to the next rotation. 2 more weeks.

But I did work hard and managed to get off friday and saturday this week. I landed some red sox vs. yankees tickets on stubhub for mark and I (making me the best girlfriend ever) and we headed in to the city friday morning for our fourth of july game.
It was supposed to rain, but it just stayed overcast until we got to the park. Mark wore a red sox shirt, which it quickly became apparent was nOT a good idea. A group of yankees fans in front of us started calling him "Harry Potter Senior". And this asshole group behind us started bothering me calling me and him a loser, and telling me I needed to break up with him. They were really aggressive about it. Then in the 7th inning it started raining and all I had was my two umbrellas, but they were yellow with dogs or purple. Mark choose to open the purple one and the jeers started again, about massachusetts being all gay, and how mark had no manhood. It was obnoxious, and even though Mark tried to be a good sport you could tell he was getting pissed. We ducked out since the red sox were winning 6 to 3 in the 7th, and made a good choice since ten minutes later everyone left when they ended the game because of the rain.
Sadly Mark was Mr. Grumpy after that, and he needed a nap, so we went back to the car and he napped while I went in search of food (which was actually tough since so many places were closed for the fourth). We were thinking of meeting Izzy and some friends for fireworks in brooklyn, but then a huge thunderstorm came through, so we decided to pack up and leave.

On the ride home Mark got in his head he wanted to stop at Foxwoods. I did not but was happy to accommodate him, so we went and I slept in the car. The good news was it brought back Mark's good mood when he won $110 in poker. We didn't get home until 4am, but it meant we were able to be lazy and sleep in doing mostly nothing all Saturday. We had dinner and watched a movie, but I was a little sad I was not able to convince Mark to stay one more night, I think after 2.5 days with mehe was starting to O.D. on Lindsey. And sadly I am on call starting in 15 minute for the next 24 hours : ( . Something tells me I will be in the hospital a lot today, but oh well.

No comments: