Saturday, July 19, 2008

meet the parents take two

So mark's dad is retired and is loving it. They own a beach house in Orchard beach Maine and now that his dad is retired he spends the entire summer there with the family dog Penny. His dad really wanted me to come up to meet him, so Mark convinced me last weekend. I was on call Saturday from 8am until 8am on Sunday, so we left first thing Sunday morning. It was actually only a 2.5 hour drive form my place (less then to NYC).

Mark's family dog, penny, is a beagle-shepard cross. The whole family adores her and talks so highly of her. But I think Mark was a little worried since I guess she is scared of strangers at first. Mark kept warning me how she would probably growl a little at me and hide behind Mark for awhile, and might not be interested in me since Mark was there. I told him not to worry, and that just cause I was a vet student didn't mean I expected every animal to naturally love me.

Well, I had to laugh, since Penny came barreling down the driveway to see Mark, and I ignored her since most of the time scared dogs like that. She sniffed my hand some and didn't growl, but didn't seem to care about my presence either. But sure enough, we got in the house and sat around the table, and when penny checked me out I rubbed just right behind her ear or something, since she suddenly jumped up on my lap and was super sweet. She kept seeking my affection all morning and leaned against me like I was part of the family, which the family all thought was quite interesting and not common. Mark made a comment that "She is such a smart dog and she will remember you forever now." I just smirked and said "Glad I passed the test, I guess I am a keeper."

Mark's dad was an interesting character. His mom came up to see us too. We walked up the beach a couple miles and then back through town. It was windy but nice. And of course they all wanted traditional Maine lobster for dinner, but Mark's mom was so sweet and brought up stuff to make stuffed peppers and sweet potatoes for me. Sadly, even though Mark was the one who wanted me to meet all his family, he and his dad don;t get along that well, so Mark got stressed for what I felt like was no reason. When it came time to go get the lobsters, Mark's dad wanted me to see the town so bad, but Mark had had enough of his dad, and Mark bailed last minute (to sneak to the corner store and buy some cigarettes), leaving me to go on a 30 minute car drive through town with just his dad, and his dad was so pleased to show off the lobster fisherman and store where we got the lobster. As I gazed in to that sad full tank of poor lobsters that I just wanted to set free. I kept biting my lip and telling myself in my head "I am the best girlfriend ever". Mark was right though, his dad is SUPER opinionated, and I knew better then to start some philosophical arguments, although there were many opportunities for that and I continuously pinched myself to force out a smile and pray the subject would get changed.

All and all though, it was fun. His family is very nice, and his dog is great (I might be dog sitting her for his family when they go to seattle later this month to visit Mark's older brother).

1 comment:

Heather said...

lol-
Yes, you are the world's best girlfriend!