Sunday, August 3, 2008

good times in Albany

I have some serious back-logging to do on this blog, but before I chat about the previous two weeks, I can't help but write about my awesome time in Albany so far.

It's my first visit home in almost 6 months. I can't believe that being initially depressed about my break up made me hesitate about wanting to visit my friends, and I am so glad I got over it quickly so that I was able to enjoy my time with these amazing people.

I got home and saw my mom for the first time in ages. She looks great. She started dating a couple months ago, which was weird for me at first, but I am happy for her too. She is now exclusively seeing this one guy, a vascular surgeon named Ben. She finds it hard to stop talking about how incredible he is. And I think dating and having a boyriend has really been great for my mom. She has lost 25 pounds, and the house is the cleanest and least cluttered I have ever seen it.

Sadly, I wish my brother was in a better state. He drove me to Bombers where I was going to meet my friends, and even though I offered to pay for his dinner if he came out with us, he declined. He's been drinking and smoking more, but amazingly getting straight A's in school. He was very argumentative, and when I tried to talk to him about my last week with Mark, he told me to shut up and he didn't want to hear about it. He said he was sick of hearing about guy troubles or good times from mom and I since he was having no such luck at all with the opposite sex. I was really worried about him and mentioned it to my friends at dinner, but Erik told me not to worry, since most young men go through a period where they are bitter and angry at the world, and that he would grow out of it. Luckily my ride home with my brother was better, he was in a cheerier mood. He joked and told me all sorts of silly stories about him getting to drunk, or being the life of a party. He got a little sad again when we got home, so I just reiterated my previous feelings that his friends are great, but family will always be there, and if you can be friends with your family as well as I think my brother and I are friends he should take advantage of that. I told him I didn't want him to hesitate if he ever needed to call or needed some help or support, and he thanked me and said he knew that.

Well, then there is my friends. I was sad that some of them didn't come out, but I often think they don't cause they have not gotten as far with their lives as they wanted to so far and they sometimes feel embarrassed since I have been so successful. But who did come?

Erik is doing GREAT! He brought his girlfriend Jen. She was very nice, and at first i wasn't sure if Erik and her had a lot in common since she is going in to marketing, but we are already friends on facebook and I can see so many similarities between them now, I am so happy for them. Erik finished his masters, it is a short story. he is going to send it my way, cause amazingly it was inspired by me a bit. I guess his cap-sizing nightmare on our kayaking trip really inspired a lot of it, and he also goes in to animal rights and individuality. I can't wait to read it.

I saw Zach, actually an ex from high school. He is back with Sarah, now a vet at shaker. They are doing well, and he seemed to be the happiest and most stable I have ever seen him.

And Greg, my old vegan metal band friend from undergrad came. He is doing well. He really is a life long learner and I feel like he just stays in school to keep learning, but he works at various jobs and is in the army too to avoid any student loans. He is so smart and had some great words of wisdom for me with regards to my relationship situation. He is hoping to go to law school soon through the army and work for the UN.

So that was my first night. Still have lunch with the family toady too. It was great. And I went for a 7 mile run today. I forgot how hilly the area I currently run in back home is, and how flat Albany is. I felt like I was flying on my run, clocking some 7 minute miles.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I didn't know you were home! Glad to read that you had a good visit though. :) You're so much better at blogging than I am and yet you're 12 million times busier. I love reading about the trails and tribulations of vet school though. Is it weird that your complaints make me want to go?