Sunday, August 3, 2008

some back tracking: Littleton Animal Hospital

I spent the last two weeks at The Littleton Animal Hospital for my core rotation of practice environment. Candy had recommended it to me because they see a lot of exotics. It was a nice change...a bit more of a commute though. It was a 40 minute drive from my house. I was working 9-5 Monday through Friday, with a 1.5 hour lunch break almost every day. It was great. I saw TONS of exotics. Lots of birds, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc. I esp. loved the birds and guinea pigs, and twice almost adopted a bird, but luckily my self restraint is good and I resisted.

The beginning of the first week started out a little rough, cause I think the techs were testing me and treating me a bit like a child, but I must of proved myself within a couple days since they started treating me with much more respect and allowing me to do certain things. At the end of my first week I actually got to perform a rabbit dental!

It was overall a great experience, and I got to see a lot of the issues you see in private practice that you don't see at a place like tufts, mainly the money factor. It was sad, but money was often a huge contributing factor in whether or not n animal would get the care it needed or continue to suffer, or even be euthanized.

And of course most of you probably already know, I don't really want to write about it, but I will just say that Mark and I broke up. It was really hard at first, esp. with the timing and the circumstances, but I am amazed by my resilience and that within a couple days I already feel stronger and like I have grown in to a more mature person because of it. I am proud that I am making the right choices, and more importantly I am extremely lucky to have some of the most amazing, caring, and smart friends ever who were there to help ease the heart break and give great advice. I am not sure where things will go with that part of my life in the future, but I know I have made some good choices in the last couple days and will be proud of myself no matter how things turn out.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Good for you hunny! Breakups suck but I'm glad you're learning from it and moving on instead of dwelling on it (which is what I did after Dev and I broke up last time). Once I finally moved on, I was so much happier and had no idea why I hadn't done it sooner! Love the past and embrace the future... whatever it may hold.