Thursday, August 21, 2008

bitter at the world...

So I know I have had it kind of rough in clinics so far. It feels like at times I have the worst luck being on call (always getting called in during the wee hours of the morning) and I always seem to have 2x the amount of cases that my classmates do, or I always seem to be helping out classmates with their cases cause I work twice as fast as them, or I always end up being the one of 5 student on a rotation that has to take 1-2 more on call shifts then all the others (cause my classmates suck at times and refuse to take the extra shift, and I can't say no if I don't have a legit excuse)...I tell myself that I am just stressed and burned out, that I don't really have bad luck, but then while just talking in passing to classmates when they here my clinics experience so far they all can't help but say "crap lindsey, I am so sorry, you have had it rough." The interns in the ER joke that I have the worst luck for getting called in and working all hours of the morning (followed by a normal work day). The doctors joke that all my patients are sicker then they appear on paper and end up admitted in to the hospital for multiple days after their initial appointment with me.

I have been trying so hard to not let this get to me...I have neurology coming up next week. I just finished a week on cardiology which I loved. This week has been oncology which has been pleasant. But next week is my one week on neurology, and by chance (of course) I happen to be the only student on. There are usually 2-3 students on, since there is a TREMENDOUS case load on neuro...you normally arrive at 6am and are there until 7-8pm with no lunch break. Well, I am on with Dr. Faissler next week, who is hilarious and smart as hell, but is known as the work-aholic of the hospital. My classmates were trying to make me feel better and encourage me that neuro was fun and I would be able to handle the 10 patients I would manage a day, and then I ran in to Shelia, the neurology resident I know since we used to run together. She asked me "Hey Lindsey, what are you up to this weekend?" Me being a dork was excited and thought "Cool, maybe a doctor wants to hang out with me, Sheila is a lot of fun after all." I replied to her "I am on oncology this weekend, so I might be in with patients, not sure yet." Sheila said "Oh, well I wanted to tell you that you should sleep, since you won't be getting any sleep at all next week being the only student on a faissler week." Nice. Way to rub it in.

Then of course next weekend is a three-day weekend with labor day. Mark is moving in to his new apartment, so since it is a holiday (treated like a weekend at school) I was hoping to head over to his place after my neuro patients were taken care of, hopefully around 12-1pm...then I got the email this past week from Dr. Cotter, the head of all medicine rotation. "Hi Lindsey, I am not sure if this is good news or bad news, but we forgot that Labor Day was the week of your neuro rotation, and since you are on and we don't want to over burden the medicine students with extra treatment shifts, we assigned you to the 8-5 treatment shift in the wards." Not sure if it is good or bad news?! Do you think I want to spend another fucking 9 hours in that god-forsaken hospital!? Shoot me now, seriously....

Ok, so I was telling my roommate JM all this trying hard not to get upset as she was saying over and over "wow Lindsey, you really have the worst luck of anyone I have ever talked to on clinics, I am sorry." I said "Eh, I am not saying it is bad luck, I am sure it is like this for others, I will survive." I think I was trying hard to stay sane saying that...then I go in to my room and check my email, and there is my bloody schedule for ER, which I am on for the first 3 weeks of september.

There are 5 of us students in my calss on the rotation toegether. The ER has a set 5 schedules set up for three week student blocks, and they supposedly assign them randomly...one student always gets the "Shitty" schedules...and guess who that fucking is?! yup! I have 3 weeks of ER, and only one 7am-6pm shift. The rest are all noon-10pm or 3pm-2am shifts...seriously? WTF?!! I have SEVEN 3pm-2am shifts, and of my four classmates the one who comes closest only has THREE! My weekends are shot. I have NO weekend days off, and all of my classmates have at least one. You get one day off a week on ER, but of course every day I have off I am on until either 10pm or 2am the night before, so I will not be able to go out at all and enjoy the night before my days off...and to top it all off, my last three days fri-sun before I start at Angell memorial in Boston, are 3pm-2am shifts, so I get to work until 2am on Sunday and then take a 6am train in to Boston on Monday...I am SO fucking livid and bitter right now. I need a break SO fucking bad. Thank god I have elective and vacation for 6 weeks after my ER rotation.

No comments: