Wednesday, September 10, 2008

183 Spring St., Medford, MA

Wow. I am scared shitless right now but excited too. I am moving to "Boston". Not really, Medford actually, but closer then ever, I can't believe I finally did it.

The story? Ryan contacted me about a week ago saying he wanted to move to Boston now (funny since I was practically begging him to this summer when he was first promoted to the Boston position). I had kind of forgotten about my dream to move closer to the city and accepted the fact that I would be in Grafton just one more year, but then when Ryan contacted me about it again, I told him I would consider it and if we found somewhere for Oct. 1 I would probably do it, but after that it would be a no go. The last week has been a rollercoaster of emotions (good ones) since I felt like every place we looked at it was Ryan and I switching places with who wanted to move, mainly me more then him.
Then on Sunday Ryan looked at a place in Medford and fell in love with it...he told me to set up a time to see it Monday night after work and if I wanted it we would take it.

So after my ER shift Monday I made it to Medford at 8pm to see the place. It was in a nice neighborhood, had a yard and front and back porch. The inside was nice, there is a huge mirror on the front wall of the living room which is a little creepy, but I could deal with it. The bedrooms were a little smaller then I would like, but the kitchen was huge and nice. It is a 1.2 mile walk to the subway. I wanted closer then that, and was instantly torn. Ryan started bombarding me with texts that we needed to take it, since it would be gone quick. My gut kept telling me that I wanted to wait and find a place closer to Boston, but then it came out that Ryan had to sign his current lease at his place in Grafton the next day or he would be out of it, so it was this place or nothing...I had a hard time sleeping, but finally decided that this was my last opportunity to move closer to Boston before graduating, and quite frankly I might not even be there after graduating, so I went for it.

Tuesday we met the broker and signed the lease. The lease starts Oct. 1 and is only 11 months. (So I should be able to summer sublet it if I need to leave before then). Even the broker made a comment about how nervous I seemed at the signing of the lease. But Mark came along too and that helped when he thought the place looked nice too.

The next 24 hours after the signing has been weird for me. I am kind of in shock, I wanted to do it, but didn't really know if I would actually be able to...and now I have to wait 2.5 weeks to move in to my new place! I am scared, it will be far away from my friends in vet school, but quite frankly I only hang out with them a couple times a year anyways. I kind of felt sick to my stomach for awhile wondering if I had made a mistake since for any left over rotations I have at tufts I will have to commute now, but then I talked to Mark awhile and felt better....he asked me to just list the reasons why I wanted to live closer to Boston, and I talked about how every 2-3 days a week that I drive to Boston from school instead of home even though it is 40 minutes longer, I feel better, I look forward to where I am going, and I feel more connected with Boston then with Grafton. And I can make the drive feel better realizing I have finished most of my cores already and with electives I don't have to be to school until 8am, so I can take the train from Boston to school those days.

I am still scared, and I think I will be until I am living at the new place for a couple weeks, but I will have a lot of friends in Boston too, and will make new ones, and will have a great support network there. I guess now I just want to get it over with and move in already!

No comments: