Friday, September 12, 2008

she's on fire!!!!

Why am I writing a blog at 3am do you ask? cause I just got home from school, and I am not angry or bitter at all, in fact, I love it. I have been on ER for two weeks now, and am working very odd hours, normally starting between 12-3pm, and ending between 11pm-3am. But it is SO fast paced and rewarding. I feel like I am saving lives every day. And lately I am on fire! I am rocking with my skills. I feel like no matter how nervous or hesitant I am, when the doctors ask me what I think is wrong with patients and what I want to do with them, I say what I am thinking, and they tell me I am right on the money and that is exactly what they would do.

We got slammed yesterday. Between 7-9pm 18 patients came in through the ER. It was the perfect situation for stress and chaos. Luckily, the owners were all understanding and patient. They had to wait ages, some of them over 5 hours. Yet they all talked in the lobby with each other, and got along. They even ordered pizza for themselves, it was like a pizza party in the front lobby, plus they ordered some pizzas for us in the back thanking us for our hard work. I was supposed to be on from 1-10pm, but I didn't leave until 1:30am, but it was ok, I was not upset about it at all, I loved it! I was on 3pm-2am today, and again felt like I could do no wrong. I am pairing up with the clinicians well, Dr. Lanaux and I are rock stars, and Dr. Abelson is one of the best teachers I have had on clinics yet. She loves to grill students in a nice way, and so far I have hit all her questions on the dot. I am just hoping this is not hubris on my part. I am still nervous and not cocky, but I am gaining confidence in my skills as a doctor every day.

No comments: