Tuesday, April 12, 2011

pet peeves from a runner...

Being a runner in the city can be tough sometimes...luckily I live less then a mile from the Charles and just head straight to the river on my runs as it is a runner's oasis there. But that still means I am on the roads for about 1.2 miles total to and from the apartment...and that can be dicey.
I am sure drivers are just as peeved by me sometimes, I try my hardest to obey crossing laws and to watch out for other pedestrians. I have found bikers can be more dangerous then cars, and while I respect them and like that they are travelling in such an environmentally conscious way, they scare me too, and take risks that are dangerous for everyone sometimes.
But lately I have this one pet peeve that I just want to blog about...
When I am on a busy street on my way to or from the Charles (aka Mass Ave) there are a lot of pedestrians, especially between Newbury St. to past Berklee. Sometimes I find it a little rude that they always walk in a fashion to take up the whole sidewalk chatting with friends, etc., but I get by. In particular, at this point I know what spots are save to briefly run along the road and avoid cars and people. What drives me nuts though is when I am obviously trying to get by slow walking people, and after I do I hit a DO NOT WALK sign. While waiting to cross I always jog in place, and often times I will jog in place at the very end of the curb, waiting for my "little white man" to tell me I can cross (inside joke with Denis). My pet peeve- when I am jogging in place and the pedestrians I just passed with some difficulty arrive at the same intersection, and proceed to walk around me and stand off the curb in front of me waiting for the walk sign. Really? I am just going to have to jog around you and pass you again. I mean, I am jogging in place after all, I am going to hit the ground running as soon as that walk sign flashes, and you are going to be in my way. Instead, you could have just waited behind me since that extra 3 feet in front of me is not going to get you across the street any faster.
Ughh, complaints from a runner...

No comments: