Sunday, July 3, 2011

experimenting with non-traditional salads



I have been wanting to eat more salads, but am very bored by the classic salads everyone eats. So I have turned to vegan yum yum and tried two of their salads in the last week.

Last week I made this avocado salad: http://veganyumyum.com/2010/01/avocado-wasabi-salad/
The dressing ended up looking more like hummus but once you mixed it up with the salad it had a cheesy element to it, and the taste had a little kick too.

Then this weekend Danielle and Courtney gave me a ton of kale (their friend own's part of a community garden and has more kale then what she knows to do with.
So I tried this recipe:
http://veganyumyum.com/2009/07/blt-salad/
I made some modifications: I used Trader Joe's Teriyaki flavored tofu- I cut it in to small pieces and fried it in a little olive oil. I also added some broccolini- I cut that up in to small pieces and mixed it in with the salad.

Both turned out super tasty, but something tells me they are not the most healthy salads.

No comments: