Tuesday, October 4, 2011

fun with fake fried fish



This was a new experiment for me...made a whole meal of fake fish like stuff, kinda...
First I made fried shitake mushrooms, modified from a recipe online:
For the batter I mixed 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, and a splash of pepper mixed with 2 TBsp of water. I used this to coat the mushrooms and fried in 3 cups of olive oil. This was probably the tastiest part of the meal.



For the "fake fish" I literally used the beer batter fake fish recipes from meet the shannons' blog found here:
http://www.meettheshannons.net/2010/08/betty-crocker-project-beer-batter-fried.html
The batter was amazing.
I also made their vegan tartar sauce but that was a little bit wasteful on my part...both Mark and I don't like tartar sauce (which I didn't know Mark didn't like it) so that was a bit of a waste.



But otherwise the meal was quite tasty. Made some corn to go on the side.

No comments: