Monday, October 3, 2011

vegan potato tacos


So I bought a bunch of potatoes recently for a specific dish, but ended up having a lot of leftovers. I wanted to try to use them up and knew we were having John and Robin over for dinner...I was planning to make my vegan mexican chicken dish with fresh avocados- so I googled "mexican potatoe salad". I ended up finding a couple weird recipes and tried one- it was ok, not great. I forgot to take pictures and decided not to post it as it was relatively boring and I probably won't make it again. but, in my searching I saw a recipe for "potatoe tacos" that looked interesting, so I made some adjustments and tried that this week.

Ingredients:
1 TBsp veggie oil
1 TBsp fajita seasoning
4 peeled, boiled and chopped potatoes
1 container of pre-sliced white mushrooms
Daiya mozzarella and cheddar cheese
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1/2-3/4 cup of salsa
soft taco shells
sliced avocados

Directions:
preheat the oven to 350.
Stir together the oil and fajita seasoning. Then toss the mushrooms and potatoes in them until evenly coated.
Arrange the potatoes and mushrooms on a baking tray. Sprinkle with a layer of mixed vegan cheese. Bake for 15 minutes.

While the potatoes and mushrooms are baking, stir together the refried beans and salsa in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
Spon the bean mixture in to the bottom of the taco sheels, then place the potatoe mixture on top of that. Then put whatever taco topping you want on top (I had avocados I needed to use so I tried that).
I thought it was a pretty tasty and unique taco dish- Mark was not a fan, which is ok, not every dish I make is good. Mark thought it was "too much like baby food", so I guess he does not like refried beans.
But I thought it was a good dish, if you want to use up some potatoes in a unique way give it a try!

No comments: