Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Coconut peanut rice dish

This dish was modified from a recipe my friend Ryan sent me to try, with the original dish having quinoa. I changed it to rice since I am not a huge quinoa fan. Directions: Take 2 cups of veggie broth mixed with 1 can coconut oil and add 3 cups of rice. Bring to a boil and cook like you normally would cook your rice with water (it will need more stirring than usual as it gets sticky cooking in the other liquids). Meanwhile in a wok I fried up 1 package of tofu. Once a little browned, I removed the tofu and added 2 packages of frozen veggies (mine had cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli). I also had 1/2 a bag of spinach left over from the pizza I made the other night so threw that in too and cooked them in the wok. (This is a lot of food but amounts to 7 tupperware containers I can put in the freezer in addition to dinner for Mark and I, which is convenient for me since I will be working the 1-1 this weekend). Meanwhile in a blender I mixed/blenderized 1.5 cups peanuts, 2 TBsp cilantro, 2 TBsp tabasco, 1/2 cup lime juice, 1/2 cup sesame oil, 2 TBsp brown sugar, 2 TBsp garlic, and 2 tsp salt. Once the rice is done, add it to a large mixing bowl, then add the tofu, veggies, and peanut sauce once it is all cooked. Mix in 1 bunch of scallops that have been chopped up. I also had these weird little veggie pieces from an asian food store I mixed in. It is basically like adding in small crunchy saly things (peanuts or cashews could substitute it as well, and it is definitely not necessary for the recipe but I had it around and wanted to use it).

No comments: