Wednesday, June 11, 2008

my calming mechanism

I never thought I would be a runner, but somehow I have become one since I started vet school. It has become how I stay sane. Everyone has something (or at least they should have something) that helps them relax, rejuvenate, recharge, etc. Running has become that for me. Sure, there are lots of moments when I want it to be over, like those 10 degree runs with the wind in my face freezing my snot in February, or those 90 degree runs in July where I fantasize about trespassing and taking a dive in to some stranger's pool at mile 8, or best of all at the top of a hill in January, on my way down, feeling great, then spotting the 30 foot patch of black ice covering every inch of road only 10 feet away. But all in all I love running, and I feel more refreshed then anything after a good run. I also have some really amazing moments on my runs. You think A LOT when you run for more then 8 miles at a time, since it guarantees you will be on the road for over an hour. I listen to my ipod nano too, but my mind wanders. I can reflect on things. I can fantiasize about things, a common fantasy involves running by some huge house with lots of land for sale and I begin dreaming about winning the lottery and buying a house like that. Or good mental imagery and imagining running a race like the boston marathon at my fastest speed yet.

Then there are weird moments like what happened yesterday, things that I don't expect but that keep me smiling or laughing or feeling touched and lucky and connected with the world that last a while, as long as they need to until the next event.

It's been hot lately, so yesterday I decided to run at 5am and avoid the 90 degree weather. Of course it was already 80 degrees at 5am, but that is besides the point. It was 6:10, and I was finishing up my 8 mile run, only a mile from home. I was on this refreshing down hill stretch when I heard something in the woods across the street. I thought it was a rabbit and figured at my quick pace there was no point in trying to spot it cause they are so small and fast and hide in the bushes, but the noise persisted for a second longer and sounded loud so I looked over. There was a deer bounding over some logs parallel to the road, not looking at me. I scanned the woods for other deers and she looked alone. I am also an incredible dork and even though I know animals do no understand english, I always seem to talk to them, esp. when alone on a run...so I said in a regular voice "Hey beautiful." and expected the deer to hear me and dash off full speed. Instead the deer turned its head towards me, and bounded over to the side of the road near me. I was so amazed, and although my momentum was pulling me down the hill, I stopped. The deer stopped on the opposite side of the road from me, about 15 feet from me. He shook his head, and I noticed too little antler buds and realized my mistake. I said "I am sorry, I meant you were handsome, not beautiful." The deer and I continued to look at each other for another 3 seconds, and then he turned, so I turned and started running down the rest of my hill. He also ran, but stayed along the edge of the road bounding through the woods parallel to me for another 20-30 feet or so before he decided to run back in to the woods, which was weird considering I expected him to run away from me. I couldn't keep my eyes from him. I continued my run, but for the last 8 minutes or so before I got home he was all I could think about, I know it was weird and some coincidence or some explanation for his un-deer like behavior, but it was an incredible moment for me, and another reason why I would never give up running as long as I have legs and my health (and not having legs won't make me stop either, those runners with prosthetic limbs in runners world are inspirational). I just wish that everyone could find those amazing moments or that perfect hobby that makes them clear their mind and feel at peace with the world.

No comments: