Tuesday, October 20, 2009

residency

So for the last 2 months I have been thining in the back of my mind that I would really like to compelte a residency. I initally didn't think so at the start of my internship, mainly for financial reasons. I was scared that putting off paying loans for three more years would be too much. But the more I have come ot love my internship, the more I realized I was thinking about wanting to do a residency, specifically in ECC (emergency and critical care).

Well, I decided to bring it up with two of the intern directors at our quarter year review last month. Luckily, my review went great, and I have been doing very well. And before I even got a chance to bring it up, all of the intern directors told me they thought I would do well in a residency and that they specifically thought I wa a great fit for ECC.

So it is decided! I am applying for ECC residencies.
If I don't land one, then I will apply for jobs, but if I do get one it looks like even though I will go another 3 years with minimal loans being paid off from vet school I should make a decent amount more when I finish the residency and as such it seems worth it.

For those of you who want to know a bit more about ECC, here is a link describing what an ECC vet does primarily:



Well, I am dreading the application process, but it should be totally worth it. Keep your fingers crossed for me in early February on match date!

No comments: