Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Kenyan in New England

Sorry I don't write much here anymore....I am forbidden to reference work ever, and since 95% of my life is work with the internship, I haven't gotten around to writing much.

Right now I am hosting Muya, my mentor from Kenya. It is his first time in the United States. He emailed Corynne and I (the two who went to Kenya and Wales with him for 9 weeks) in January stating that he would be visiting the states for the first time ever for a conference in Florida. Of course that is too far away for us, so we recommended he travel up to New England on the end of his trip to visit. He arrived in Boston on Saturday and Corynne and her fiance Paul hung out with him then. On Sunday Corynne, Mark and I took Muya for an official tour of Boston.

First we went to Harvard Square...and found out from an information person that there was no official sign for "Harvard University"...so Muya amused us by stopping to take pictures of every silly thing that said Harvard on it from t-shirts to news stands.
Then we took the T to Fanueil Hall and toured there and Quincy Market.
We walked form there through Boston Common, saw the State House, and the ice skating rink, and Muya walked on the ice over a pond for the first time ever.
We then walked up Newbury to the prudential building and went to the bar at the top with SPECTACULAR views of Boston to have a drink. Then we all took the T back to Davis where Mark lives and got a cheap dinner at Red Bones with good beer and too much meat according to Muya (I feasted on the portabella mushroom burger).

Yesterday Corynne and I took Muya to breakfast, then I drove with Muya through Grafton to see the vet school, stopped at Target with him to buy good souvenirs for his family, and then headed back to Connecticut. Muya took pictures of almost every exit sign along the way! We went to dinner at The Brewhouse in SoNo with some of my internmates last night.

Today despite the freezing rain we are about to leave for NYC for more sight seeing!

No comments: