Sunday, May 8, 2011

my first vegan stew

I have never really made "stew" before...always made soup or chili...but I recently bought a weird brand of vegan soy sausage at the store since I was intrigued, and then had no idea what to do to cook with it, so I looked up a recipe to make a vegan stew with it...


Ingredients:
soyrizo (above)
1 chopped yellow onion
1 chopped green bell pepper
5-6 red potatoes peeled and diced
1 cabbage cut in to small shreds
4 parsnips peeled and chopped
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 TBsp soy sauce
3 cups veggies stock
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cans chickpeas
2 tsp oregano

Directions:
In a large soup/sauce pan heat the onions in some olive oil until soft.
Then add the pepper until soft.
Then add the potatoes, cabbage, parsnip, tomatoes, soy sauce, and veggie stock. Cover and simmer on medium low until the veggies are tender (50 minutes or so).
Then add the oregano, red pepper, and chickpeas and cook for another 10 minutes.
Lastly add the veggies sausage (the soyrizo package had me fry it in a little olive oil for 5 minutes until browned and it was all crumbly when I added it to the stew).
Cook for another couple minutes and enjoy! I had 4 days of leftovers with this meal. And Mark really liked it too, said it was one of the best stews he had ever had with the potatoes perfectly cooked.

No comments: