Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Cape Relay 2011

I just ran the Cape Relay with a team from work this weekend and it was lots of fun, with some new experiences for me. I definitely hope to run another one as long as I get asked to in the future!
what happened?
We arrived at Angell and packed our van, 6 people per van for our 12 person team plus Courtney (DT's girlfriend) was our designated van driver. Then we were off to the Borderland State Park for the start. Our team left at 10:45- our van, van 1, did the first round of legs. Charity started, and it got hot fast. All 6 of us ran our legs, with our first experience of the "Dynamic Warm Up Dude" at Leg 5- he made an appearance at every other round of legs, where he ran up and down the parking lot doing lunges, sidewinders, and sprinting.
My leg was leg 6, which was the one that handed off to our Van 2 at the end. I expected to run about a 10minute mile...we were supposed to have a "you're a mile from the finish" sign when I was, and I anticipated seeing that sign around 3:17p meaning I would hopefully finish my 6.9 miles by 3:27p. Well by 3:20 I was worried I had not seen the sign since I was behind schedule- then I cam e around a corner and a cop directing traffic told me I was almost there, and when I asked how far he said less then a quarter mile! I ended up finishing at 3:22p, 4-5 minutes ahead of schedule. By that point our team was 20 minutes ahead of our anticipated time.
Our team continued to knock off time. While Van 2 ran their 6 legs we went to Plymouth near the next major exchange. We showered and relaxed at Hennesey's house and wandered down to down town plymouth. Of course, Van 2 was supposed to be done by 10ish but instead cam in at an hour early, so we didn't rest at all.
Then started the night legs. It was a new experience for me. I started my leg at 12:30am, and running with a headlamp and a flashlight up hill for 6 miles in the dark and alone was difficult, but an experience.
After that Van 2 took over again. We went to the next major exchange and slept, stinky and sweaty in the van for 3 hours. At 5am we were up and ran our last legs at 6am.
Eventually we waited for van 2 at Meadow Beach in Truro on the Cape, and our team came in at 12:30p, which was an hour and a half ahead of scheduled. It was a great experience and I hope to run a relay again...plus there was a beer garden at the finish which kept our eyes on the prize. ; )

No comments: