Friday, August 2, 2013

vegan chicken pasta casserole

Being that Mark and I will be moving to Cali in about a little over a month, I have decided to start making dishes that reflect using up the random crap in our kitchen... I noticed the other day that I had 3 containers of vegan cream cheese (I must have bought it for a cheesecake or something and never made it). Well, I will be using 2 in a cheesecake I make for our going away party next week, but I used another in a recipe I found for a pasta casserole. I also conveniently had 2 packaged of TJ's vegan chicken strips, pasta in the cupboard, along with lots of pasta sauce, so only had to buy spinach for the recipe. First boil a box of pasta, whatever you have on hand (I had rotini). Then in a large sauce pan or wok, add a little oil and cook the fake chicken. Once browned, add 1 TBsp Italian seasoning 1 jar spaghetti sauce, and 1 can drained diced tomatoes. I had a bag of sundried tomatoes that I threw in as well at this point. Cook a couple minutes. Next add your spinach, helping it wilt as it gets mixed in. (I used one bag of fresh spinach). Lastly, start dropping chunks of cream cheese and mixing them in to the dish. I used one container of toffuti cream cheese. In a casserole dish first drain and pour the cooked pasta. Then top with the chicken sauce mixture. Then top this with shredded mozzarella, next a layer of plan sauce again from a different jar, and last with some mozzarella and some parmesan (obviously vegan versions of both for me). Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. I think I put a little too much sauce in, but it was tasty and even better as a leftover.

No comments: