Thursday, February 19, 2009

bostonian friends

There are so many reasons why I am so glad that I moved to Medford so close to Boston, and Mark, and a social life. And I really don't regret it at all, I know I made the right choice even if things can be rough at times. But there is one thing that is nagging me, that is bothering me a little. It is a lack of friends. Quite frankly, my vet school friends can drive me nuts at times...I am in school with them for 8-12 hours a day, and when we hang out things all too often become conversations of vet school, and it just makes me anxious and stressed outside of school. So when I lived in grafton I hung out with them more, but wanted to go in to boston to destress and de-vet school. I still have that problem on the rare occasion I hang out with friends in my class, and I wish we could be friends without the whole vet school pretense. But now that I live in Medford I find myself missing them since they are all so rarely willing to come out to visit and hang out in Boston. I have always been a planner and am usually pro-active about rallying friends and organizing events for us all. But now that I live in Boston I find that it is nearly impossible, hardly anyone ever wants to come out! Even when 6 friends encouraged me to host a st. patty's day party, only my roommate and I have RSVPed positive for it so far on the facebook invite, and 4/6 of the original encouragers now have said no, they can't come!

On a good note, I have met some new people here in Boston, but they are mostly Mark's co-workers and friends. I like most of them a lot, but feel bad whenever I ask Mark to arrange something with them. I know i am the annoying pro-active planner who wants to organize, and I think it might seem weird that I ask to plan events with them since they are technically not my friends. But again, I feel like I have no friends out here sometimes, and being a social being I want to organize and have social gatherings with people. I wish I could throw more parties and have more people come, but vet school people are too busy and pre-occupied if already in clinics, and all my other friends live all over the country (or in canada). So I feel like my best bet is to become closer friends with Mark's crew. I guess I will just have to see what happens, but we all know with my upcoming free weekends (every weekend starting March 7) I will find some way to fill up my free time. If my damn IT Band will hurry up and let me I will gladly fill each day with 3-4 hours of running long distances.

No comments: