Thursday, February 26, 2009

freaking skunked

I will try not to go in to a rant, but Sunday night was the worst night here since I moved here...Ryan's dogs started whining at 3am...he let them out and they immediately got skunked, he brought them in to bathe one at a time (while the second wandered the apartment dragging skunk smell everywhere). He bathed them wrong...I told him Tomatoe juice, he took a can of plum tomatoes and smeared tomatoe chunks over both dog...which did nothing for the smell and coated our bathroom from floor to ceiling with tomatoe chunks. Meanwhile second dog shit over the entire apartment (with pieces of sock in it). By 4am I could no longer sleep because the smell was so disgusting it burned my eyes, so I left for school over an hour early. I arrived and was the laughing stock of the hospital for 2 days since every I went reeked of skunk. I spent the night at Mark's on Monday to avoid punching Ryan and his dogs in the face, and Mark asked me to sleep on the couch due to my smell (but eventually he caved and let me sleep in bed with him). And the rest of the week was spent trying to "work things out" with Ryan because he refused to accept that we were horrible roommates. Thank god the week is almost over.

I have been on exotics all week, which is A LOT of work, but is rewarding and fun cause I am realizing I know more then I thought I did. The only frustrating part...there is a student on with us who is from the local technician school (being a vet tech is equivelant to being a human nurse). She is very nice, but pushy and controlling. I arrive at school at 6am to start Physical exams on my patients, and paperwork, requests, etc. She shows up at 10am and jumps in to all the procedures, taking control and getting to do more then me. She scrubbed in to our two surgeries today (rat spays) and totally pushed me out of the way to actually participate while I stood to the side and handed the doctor instruments (she was in my traditional place assisting with surgery). I was a little upset, esp. when after surgery she disappeared and I was left to recover the patient, get all the drug RXs. in, paperwork, orders, etc. I was trying not to be pissed, but then one of the vet techs on anesthesia pulled me aside and said "Lindsey, you better stop letting that girl do whatever she wants. You bust your ass off here and she gets to do all the fun stuff while you are stuck with the aftermath and paperwork for 2 hours after." That made me feel better, but I still couldn't change it today. And sure enough, 4pm rolled around, all the procedures for the day were done, but there was over 2 hours of paperwork left, and the girl left for the day considering it a job well done. It must be nice to come in, get more hands on with the animals then most, shove yourself in to get hands on for the coolest procedures, and avoid all the paperwork, client communication, and follow-up for each case. But on a good note, every time this pissed me off, I told myself "Well, in 3 months I will be the doctor calling the shots saying who can do what, so she can have her fun now." I know I never want to be a controlling doctor or bossy doctor, but I get things done very efficiently, and I will be good to my techs, but I will let people who need experience most get it only if they are willing to tackle all the hard work associated with it. Of course, hard work will never go unrewarded if I have anything to say about it. : )

No comments: