Tuesday, June 16, 2009

" Gasp..this name tag says DOCTOR"

that was Kevin's first joke of the day on Monday. I am all settled in to my new apartment here in Connecticut, it is not Boston, and I miss Boston terribly, but it is a great apartment and the only thing that could make it better is if Mark were here. He came down with me on Saturday to help move, hangover and all since his friends had a pub crawl the night before and he had been out drinking way too much (an somehow convinced me to join him at 10pm after I got home from the train ride back from connecticut so he had someone to dance with, luckily I didn't drink much).

The move went VERY well, taking only an hour and a half at each place to load and unload the truck. By 7:30 on Saturday I had everything unpacked and set up. Sunday we relaxed, I had wanted to go to NYC but we were both sore and tired so didn't really function that well. Instead we went to SONO (which is within walking distance of my place) for lunch, which is right along the bay opening up to the Atlantic so it is really pretty, and then we drove up to the second clinic I will be at and got a tour so Mark saw more of what my job would be like.

Mark stayed with me until Monday morning, and then at 9am it all started. Granted, these first 4 days are nothing but orientation, labs, and paperwork, so they are simple, but there has been lots of talking by the doctors on what we should expect. We each got a huge binder with all the info in it and our name tags for our uniforms, which all say Dr. ___ ____ and that made my friend Kevin excited.

Last night Hill's took us all out to dinner, which was relaxing and a great way to meet my fellow interns and doctors. A lot of the doctors have Tufts connections so I feel right at home, and all of my intern mates are very sweet and pleasant (although I was shocked there are really only 4 / 14 in relationships, 1 married, me with Mark, Jon and his girlfriend also still back in Boston, and then Allison has a boyfriend back in Alabama., everyone else is single).

So I spend the next 3 days in wet labs, orientation, etc. Then Friday I start shadowing the interns from last year, and starting Monday June 29 I am on my own. I start on overnights (the shift goes from 6pm-9am), of course. I have my schedule through January, and my first 3 months suck since I don't have a single weekend off until October, but then from October to January I should have a total of 6 weekends off. Well, I am not going to love the long hours, but I know this will be a great learning experience.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I can't wait to visit you!
:-)

Jess said...

that sounds so great linds!!