Monday, June 1, 2009

a weekend free of commitments

Last weekend I promised Mark I would not plan anything for the 2 of us since the weekend before had been a whirlwind of various graduation events and parties, and the weekend after would be spent camping in the Berkshires with Heather and Denis. I figured he really needed some Mark time and would not be upset if he didn't want to do anything with me all weekend. He didn't really believe me and kept asking all week "So what are we doing this weekend?" and was shocked when I answered "Nothing that I know of" each time.

Saturday we relaxed together, then Sunday I went and ran the Boston's Run To Remember Half Marathon with his roommate Sean. We left an hour before the race started since it was only a 15 minute drive to the place, but sadly with the lines of cars for parking we ended up sprinting to the start line to get there on time. It was a good run in the sense that it was my first race since recovering from IT Band, and my knee was fine, but it was super humid and I was quite miserable in that regard. I don't know my official time yet, but I think it was something around 2:03. Mark had kept asking over and over again if I wanted him to come, but I stuck to my promise and told him to sleep in like he wanted. The way I see it, if we are together for a long time I will be running a few races every year, and I can't expect him to come to all of them, so I will save asking him to come to the ones I need someone to drive me to the start. ; )

Later that night we went out to dinner with Mark and Amy at Grasshopper, a vegan chinese restaurant that I have never been to and decided I needed to visit before leaving Boston. (Again, I told Mark he didn't have to come, but he wanted to, and we both had a great time chatting with Mark and Amy). It was, well, not bad, but very greasy. The foods were all fake meats smothered in sauce, the fake meats themselves were tasty but there was too much crap on the dishes and not quite enough flavor. Probably won't go back, but was glad I went.

By Monday (Memorial Day) even though we had gone to dinner the night before we were both pretty bored and the weather was great. Mark wanted to do something outdoors, so I suggested on a whim that we drive to Providence, RI to go to the zoo. It was the perfect day for the zoo, but of course hundreds of families thought that too, so we were overwhelmed by kids in strollers and crying babies. Even Mark who likes kids more then me started to panic. We saw the zoo in a little over an hour, and then I drove us in to Downtown for the best falafel I have found in the US yet at East Side Pockets. It was delicious and hit the spot. putting us both back in to a great mood.

So even though I promised to keep that last 4 day weekend Lindsey-commitment-free, we ended up doing a lot together on a last minute basis, and had a great time.

No comments: