Thursday, May 21, 2009

a good job

My vet school graduation was filmed this year and I am tempted to spend the $10 for the dvd when it comes out since I thought some of the speeches were great. Dr. White, our prof speaker, gave advice as always, but he also went off about how we were so lucky to be going in to veterinary medicine since all of us will most likely love our jobs and not think "Crap, I hate Mondays....Wednesday, hump day, and then THANK GOD it is Friday". Sure I will appreciate my time off a lot, but he was right that our career is very rewarding and that most of us will never want to retire unless poor health or something unforseeable occurs. I couldn't agree more. But there are two other possible careers I secretly wouldn't mind either. I will never be good enough, but I would love to be a professional marathon runner, training and running over 150 miles a week, and being pushed to the limit. I also think a second career (or additional career) might involve opening a vegan restaurant. Not all of my creations are restaurant-worthy, but I have gotten enough compliments and rave reviews that I think I could get a staple menu going. But hopefully I just land the perfect vet job and never have to worry about that while still having enough time to make dinner every night and run every day.

No comments: