Tuesday, May 19, 2009

sometimes I feel blessed

Even though I don't believe in god, sometimes I really feel blessed and so lucky to have such amazing people in my life. I have so many close friends, not as many from vet school, but ones that I have been close with since high school. I have an amazing family, and my grandma is one of the kindest people ever. My boyfriend is incredible. And the veterinary school I attended had such outstanding doctors. I was lucky enough to get a job at the wildlife clinic from my first year, and have become very close with the clinic over the years, including doctors, volunteers, and staff. They have also been close with me. And the other night I received the "wildlife award" at awards night. They asked me to come over today and have a "proper good bye" at the clinic. I was expecting some hugs, maybe a small gift, and I brought a cake I made for them as well. I was not expecting a huge award. Elaine, one of the amazing volunteers at the clinic, donates $1000 every year to a student who works tirelessly at the clinic. And this year I was the recipient. On top of it, Elaine and I are both runners, so my gift basket was full of books on and by runners, all signed personally by the author with specific messages to me like "Good luck with all your Boston Marathons in the future" from Lorraine Morel, a famous female marathoner. I was shocked, and so grateful. I spent an hour chatting with them, and Mark Pokras, the clinic director, is going to put me in touch with some zoos/aquarium/wildlife places in Connecticut near me so that I can volunteer a couple days a month as the vet for those places, which will be SO rewarding (Heather, I might get to be a penguin doctor after all). After leaving the clinic and driving home, I truly felt blessed.

2 comments:

Heather said...

That's soooooooooooooo great. Wow. It's great when your hard work is recognized! How touching!

Jess said...

I'm tearing up here. :) That's so great Lindsey! You deserve it all!