Saturday, May 2, 2009

apartment hunting

Toady was my first day searching apartments in Connecticut. It really reinforced how much I am going to miss Boston. My first appointment was in Bridgeport. I had heard parts of Bridgeport were shady. I drove up towards the first apartment and just kept driving, cancelling the appointment. I seriously was in the slums, it looked like all run down houses and crack joints, so I skipped that appointment.

The next apartment was in Bridgeport as well. It was a $1100 2BR. The apartment itself was nice, and the landlord was awesome, He was from London and we instantly got along. The street itself looked ok, but all the surrounding streets looked like the first apartment's had, so while I checked out the apartment, I know I won't want to live that close to that neighborhood.

The next two were right next to each other, in Black Rock, a small community on the outskirts of Bridgeport. They were $875 each, both 1BRs. One on the first floor, the other on the second. The neighborhood was ok, reminding me of Washington Ave. or Mystic Ave. in Albany, I guess it was where all the college kids from Fairfield University live. On the outside the apts. looked a little shabby, but on the inside they were nicer. They looked a little dirty, but nothing I couldn't fix with a vacuum when I move in. No washer and dryer. Very decent size. All pets allowed. I feel like if I want to live like a student and save some money, I will live there, but won't be proud of where i live.

The last apartments were all in Norwalk, which is more expensive, but I loved them all. The first was a 1BR, $1200 including heat and hot water, in a small brick building complex. It was spacious. Washer and dryer in the basement. Garage parking. Cats only allowed. But it was on the 4th floor (I would have to hire movers since I don't think Mark and I could handle 4 flights with all my stuff). Beautiful view of the connecticut River behind. The kicker: the last tenant was a smoker and the smell has not disappeared yet.

The next two places were in the same building. It was a 6 unit victorian house just outside of downtown norwalk, in a beautiful area. The place allows pets and has a washer and dryer in the basement and a parking lot. One unit was a $950 studio/loft, with a full kitchen and bathroom. I would have to put my bed up on the loft, and the rest of the studio is adorable, but there is no way I would be able to fit my stuff in it so I would have to use the storage in the basement for a lot of things.

The next was my favorite of the day, of course it was also the most expensive. It was a huge 1BR in the same house, for a total of $1200 (no utilities included). It was just outside of my range I originally was searching for, but I loved it. And if Mark were to actually come and live with me for some time (I know it is not set and I should not get my hopes up, but he is looking for possible jobs) it would be ideal for the two of us.

I need to do some serious thinking. I really want the $1200 1BR in the victorian, but if I am being smart I will take the scrappy 1BR in Black Rock since I will only be in connecticut for one year, and I will save some money doing that. hmmm....

2 comments:

Heather said...

I say, go with the small loft!

Lindsey said...

hmm...it is cute, but I would have to put about half of my stuff in storage if I take that