Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I do NOT miss high school

On Saturday Mark brought me along to one of the few get togethers his co-workers were having...we ended up in a bar in Malden where several of his co-workers were getting together for drinks. I met a lot of new co-workers whom I had never met before.
It started out a little awkward, and about 30 minutes in to it another engineer showed up, I thought to myself he looked SO familiar, like someone from high school, but thought that couldn't be the case, until his friends cheered out his name "Andy Snow is here!!!!" I knew that name, and asked him if he had gone to Colonie High, and he responded yes and quickly looked away...then I prodded him more saying "I knew you, you were in the class of 2001, right?" Another muffled yes response...still no question about me. I said "I was Lindsey Nielsen, in your class."
"Hmm...sorry....don't remember you"
"Did you know Mrs. Nielsen the art teacher?" I asked.
"Yes."
"Oh, well she was my mom"
"Oh"
And then the most awkward 30 minutes passed by. My hopes that I recognized someone from high school and would instantly have something in common with one of Mark's co-workers was instantly crushed, and I spent a while remembering how unpopular in high school I was, how this guy had been a member of the football team clique, and realizing how much of an outsider I was, and still seemed to be. It was almost as if he was embarassed to be in the same room as me (and Mark agreed on the feeling, it wasn't just me).
Luckily some of Mark's other co-workers whom I had never met were super fun....several of them were greek so we got to reminisce about different greek culture stuff since one of my fondest memories from childhood was growing up next to the Vassilakases and all the crazy greek antics I got to experience with them.
The night worked out in the end, but damn that was weird seeing someone from high school like that...I hope that never happens again!

No comments: