Thursday, January 6, 2011

vegan tostadas!


When Mark and I were at foxwoods last week (no people, I did not go for me, spent the day studying while Mark played poker) he got a chicken tostada for dinner...I was looking at the meal and thought it would be incredibly easy to convert vegan, so I tried and was right!

Last night I made the vegan version, which Mark and I were both quite impressed by, and it took 5 minutes to make!

Ingredients:
tostada bowl (the most expensive part)
shredded lettuce
1 diced tomatoe
1 can kidney beans
1 package of easy to make rice (I unsed Uncle Bean's Spanish rice which takes 90 seconds in the microwave and is vegan, obviously)
1 packege of Trader Joes Vegan chikn strips
daiya mozzarella and chedder cheese strips if you want
toffuti sour cream and guacamole on the side if you want

So all I had to do was heat the rice in the microwave, heat the beans on the stove over 5 minutes, and heat the chickn strips in some canola oil over 5 minutes.
Then I put a layer of rice, then a layer of beans, then the lettuce and tomatoes, and then the chickn on top!
I had the shreeded cheese on top of mine, wtih sour cream and guacamole on the side. Mark decided to stay away from the vegan cheese...I think he only likes it when it is melted in the middle of something.
But it was a super tasty meal! Porbably not that healthy, but it was very quick to make too, I will just have to make sure I have tostada bowls stocked in the cabinet from now on as I usually have all the other ingredients around.

No comments: