Monday, April 14, 2008

bye bye small animal surgery, back to home sweet home in wildlife



well, it has been 2.75 years of vet school...and I have been the rational one ignoring all the emails of "Adopt this cute dog" blah blah....I keep telling myself that I can't have a dog at this point in my life....it is a big commitment, and I don't know where I will be when I graduate. Then I met Gulliver. I have recently had a thing for boxers, they are a very friendly, bonehead, athletic breed. I love the hound dog look and personality, but something about boxers is great too, they are SO friendly and seem to easily adapt to almost all situations, like kids, cats, other dogs, etc.

Well, on Friday I was on my last full day at small animal surgery, and this boxer from boxer rescue came in. He had been hit by a car, and his maxilla (upper jaw) was fractured but did not need repair, and his lower jaw (mandible) was in multiple pieces. Despite this, he was still trying to kiss people and was so friendly as Dr. McCarthy played with his jaw trying to figure out how he could piece it back together. Well, he's full of head gear now to try to heal his jaw, but is still super sweet. He is friendly, obedient, well-behaved, loves kids and other dogs, and I am SO tempted to adopt him. I even had Dr. Zacher talk to boxer rescue today, and I sent Boxer rescue a tentative adoption application for him....what am I htinking? It didn't help that everyone I talked to kept telling me I should, like JM saying we would have another baby together, and my mom saying she would watch him whenever I was out of the country. The only thing that was convincing me not to was I spend A LOT of time in Boston these days, and unless I could bring him along it would be too much of an inconvenience...well, crazy me spent an hour looking up pet friendly apartments in Boston this afternoon. I found several 2 and 3 BRs, and am going to mention the idea to JM today since we both have talked about how much it would suck driving to school most days from boston, but it would probably be worth it since we love Boston so much and spend at least 2 nights a week there. We'll see, but if I did move to Boston in the summer/fall for my remaining year, I think I will adopt this dog hands down.

Well, my last weekend on small animal surgery was a bit busy. I was on call saturday, and was able to sleep in with a friend after coming back from my 7-10am rounds ; ) I hope that comment doesn't get me in trouble....but at 2pm I was called in for surgery...we had a linear foreign body in a cat followed by a slipped disk in, you guessed, it, a dachshund...are there any dachshunds without slipped disks?

Sunday I was on a morning treatment shift after rounds, and squeezed a 7 mile run in, and then went to Foxwoods to meet Mark. I have to admit, I would not go to Vegas again on my own, but I did enjoy. Foxwoods was like a mini-Vegas, but not as much stuff for non-gamblers like me to do. Mark played lots of poker, I wandered, played $5 on the penny slots (and lost, yup, $5). I am glad I went, but no need to go anytime again soon unless it is for an event like a concert or something.

Today I had to go to the small animal hospital first and SOAP my patients, but at 8am I was at the wildlife clinic for my rotation to there. I have worked there for the last 2.5 years so it was like being home again. I loved it. It was a little boring since the first 5 hours were orientation. But we actually get a lunch break every day, and after lunch we were assigned cases. I have two barred owls, a turkey vulture, a great horned owl, and a canadian goose so far. Tomorrow I actually get to play doctor with them all. I feel so at home and have been able to help the others on the rotation with me lots too, which is very satisfying. I am on call for the clinic tonight, but for once actually want to get paged since I love working with wildlife so much and am looking forward to tackling my first cases alone.

Well, lack of sleep last night is making me tired, so off to bed early, but bring it on pager, I can't wait to take care of my first HBC owl on my own!

1 comment:

Heather said...

wow. lots of things going on!!!!!