Thursday, April 17, 2008

week one of wildlife

Before I start ranting about how amazing my wildlife rotation is, I should tell a funny story that I forgot to mention about Foxwoods. So in Vegas women go to town, they get so dressed up and dolled up with make up. I of course slightly stood out when I visited since I do NOT wear make up or dress up too much. Well, Mark has had a good/bad?I am not sure what type of influence on me, but I am enjoying getting dressed up a bit more (plus I routinely wear a size 6 and the occassional 4 these days so that helps), and I even put on makeup from time to time. I had asked Mark previously if people got dressed up at foxwoods, and he said no. Well, before I went I threw on a casual dress and asked JM if it was too dressy, and she said I looked "Casual and hot, go for it." Well, I pull in to foxwoods and not a SINGLE girl is wearing a skirt or dress, in fact, they all looked like BUMS! Thank goodness I had a change of clothes that I was planning to wear to the wildlife clinic the following day...so I quickly changed in the back of my car in to black pants and a purple shirt. Hilarious! For the first time in my life I was OVER-DRESSED!

So wildlife so far has been AMAZING! I love it! The first day was kind of boring for me since it was all orientation and I used to give that orientation when working. I was on call the first night, and before leaving Flo said that I should be ok, but to call her if I was worried about anything.
I fell asleep at 10pm, and at 1045 my beeper went off...they had a baby bunny attacked by a cat...so I headed over. I picked up the bunny from the ER and went to the wildlife clinic. On my physical exam I found it's left eye was perforated (probably from a claw), it's right femur was broken, and it had two huge lacerations on its belly exposing its muscles. I called Flo to tell her what it was and that I thought it was a euthanasia. Even though I have never done one on my own, she said I could handle it, and told me what to do, and left me alone to do it.
So I got the bunny under full blast gas isoflurane to knock it unconscious, and then injecting its heart with euthanasia solution. I swear, I sat with the bunny for almost 5 minutes making SURE its heart was stopped (which it was) before putting him in the fridge and leaving. I got home at 1amm (almost hitting some deer on the way) and got re-called in at 3ish. Another baby bunny cat attack, but before I left they decided I could stay home and they would try to stabalize it with fluids, but would call me if there was a problem. They asked me to come in early at 630 to pick it up from the ER.
I got up at 530, and to the ER at 630 to pick up the bunny, only to be told it had died 20 minutes earlier (bummer).But overall, I think it was a good night. Of course, I got to the clinic WAY too early and got all my cases done quick. I have a great horned owl, two barred owls, a goose, a robin, a woodpecker, and a turkey vulture as my patients now. I love it there SO Much. I seem to know what I am doing so well, I love the people I am working with, and it is SO laid back. If it is slow we go for nature walks around campus. We ALWAYS get a lunch break. Most days we arrive at 8 and leave before 5pm. I can't complain...I just wish it was longer then 2 weeks!

1 comment:

Heather said...

it's interesting AND doesn't suck the life out of you... how AWESOME!