Wednesday, April 9, 2008

more highlights from small animal surgery...

I forgot to write in my last blog some cool things I have done other ten write up SOAPs and take care of patients...in my first week I neutered a cat named Romeo, which was surprisingly easy. I have also performed a lot of blood draws, including once from the jugular vein, and knock on wood so far they have all been successful. I performed an enema last week (yuck) and an arthrocentesis (where you stick a needle in the joint to collect the synovial (joint) fluid.
I feel quite comfortable looking at puppy broken bone x-rays. And I can readily diagnose cranial cruciate or elbow dysplasia using radiographs as well.
And I have picked up a strange and funny habit...we want to encourage dogs to eat after surgery, and Dr. Zacher, the resident I am on with now, has a funny trick that is silly, but it works...it involves me sitting next to the dog, rolling some wet dog food in to a ball, and pretending to eat it then stciking it up to the dog's face. It is quite comical to see me smacking my lips going "Yum num yum num" with dog food to a dog, but I am not kidding, it freaking works! The dog almost always starts to think "Hey, if she likes it I want it too" and then we get them to eat!

1 comment:

Heather said...

lol. you should try that with tina. :-)