Tuesday, May 13, 2008

getting better, I think

My last week of small animal medicine is going much better so far. I am really starting to feel comfortable with th cases and am realizing I know more then I thought. Dr. Mahoney who we are on with this week is amazing and is very efficient and works like me, which is great. Plus our schedule is better.

I got my first week of surgery grade back, 95, A! Yay! Maybe Dr. Freeman was right and my GPA will go up a bit with clinics.

I also forgot how nice it is to be in a relationship with someone and actually have some constant support when you are stressed. I've been single for awhile and have loved it for the most part, learned a lot, grew up a lot, and handled a lot on my own with ease. Needless to say you can tell from my posts these last couple weeks have been stressful. And I just want to comment that I have felt so lucky to have someone who is picking up on my feelings better then me at times and helping me de-stress. This of course does not devalue my amazing friends, I love you all and would not survive without you. You guys are amazing.

I still also think that the amount of hours required of us in vet school is unreasonable. But what can you do? Mark keeps joking about how working in the real world is so much different and more difficult, but I have to disagree with veterinary medicine. Even the vets that are out there working still complain about clinics and say things like "Oh my god I wanted to kill myself that year, it was insane, but I got through it, and it is so much better now that I am working. You will get thru it and it will be fine once you finish vet school." I mean, it is not healthy to work at least 75 hours every week, with one day off or less a month. My running is suffering...I try to run at night when I et home, which is usually after 7 after a 13 or more hour day, and I am so slow and tired and for the first time in two years I am not enjoying running. I know this is probably crazy, but I am going to try to change that tomorrow. I am going to start trying to get up at 4am and go for a run before school so that I am refreshed like I love at the begining of the day, and then I will try to go to bed by 8pm as soon as I get home every night...we'll see how this goes.

No comments: