Sunday, May 25, 2008

horse surgery....vacation



I feel like I am on vacation now that I am on large animal surgery. Sure enough the weekend before I switched from small animal medicine to large animal surgery had patients, meaning no days off, but the resident we were on with was SO nice and knew we had worked our asses off too much, so she let us combine patients, and I went in saturday to take care of my and Jess's patients, but then she did the same for me Sunday so I had Sunday off!

So Saturday night I went in to Boston to see "my boy" (whom I am completely smitten with lately). We went shopping so he could get an ipod for his trip, and I bought a new tightly fitting shirt for my jeans. We went out to dinner at Fajitas and Ritas in downtown, then walked over to the Good Life Bar. JM's sister Charlotte was in Boston for her 21 bday and their cousin is this famous DJ from hollywood. He arranged to have a big show in Boston at that bar and all the family and friends of Charlotte got in for free. Mark and I arrived at 9pm before anyone else, and got a drink and had some flirty conversations, mainly about my jeans which I was wearing out for the first time. Eventually everyone showed up, and we had such a great time. We both drank a little too much, but danced a ton and really enjoyed ourselves. I barely remember the taxi ride home.
Sunday we were both a little hung over, but not bad...so we were lazy and stayed in bed until 11 or so. Mark had a cousin's graduation party to go to, and I had nothing to do, so he planned on going and I would wait for him to get back at 5pm. I kind of wanted to go and hinted by asking "When do I get to meet your family?" he laughed and said you should ask to if you want to. He went to the party, and at 5pm called me saying he was so sorry but it was going until 8pm, and said he was a complete idiot for not bringing me along since he missed me and everyone there was asking about me, he said all he did was talk about me. I just laughed and told him about my earlier hint to which he laughed and commented that he was so thick sometimes.

I felt a little guilty about doing NOTHING that day (I took an hour nap, read my book, and watched a movie while Mark was gone), but the next day I started large animal surgery and I felt SO refreshed, so it was totally worth it. Large animal surgery has been like a vacation. I get there at 7am, leave by 5pm, it is AMAZING. Of course, there are a couple 36 hour shifts I have to do coming up this week, but so far it has been so easy and relaxing.

Wednesday night I drove out to somerville and Mark left the key for me so I got there an hour before him and made yummy portabello mushroom burgers and fries, which was a huge hit. Thursday night Mark came out here to see me one more time before leaving for Seattle to visit his brother.

Friday I went in to Boston to Christina's "I Lost 50 Pounds" party, which was fun, I really like some of her friends, but I couldn't stay long. I worked a lot on Saturday, but was able to get a 16 mile run in and go to Ryan's BBQ that night, which was so much fun. We played the card game Terets which was quite comical, and I did really well at it.
Today I went for a 14 mile run in the morning and a kayaking trip in the afternoon since I had the day off. Poor Mark has called me both days form Seattle cause his bro is at a seminar until Monday night and he is a bit lonely and bored. There are things to do in Seattle, but I he is so social and I think he just wants someone to share it with. Got a drink at the Post Office Pub with christina, Pete and Ryan tonight, and now I am catching up on errands before a 12 hour day at the hospital tomorrow...my first overnight in the large animal hospital is Tuesday night, wish me luck! I go in at 7am on Tuesday and stay until 6pm on Wednesday, wow. And I am SO counting down until Friday when Mark comes back and then on Saturday when we go to Montreal to see Heather and company!!!

No comments: