Thursday, May 15, 2008

paint ball pain



So last week I was invited to 7 parties in one week....and of course clinics made it so I only went to one despite trying hard to make most of them. The one party I did make was a 3 hour paintball thing that Katie put together for her bday. Mark came up for the event, funny thing is he used to play paintball a lot in high school, so he was the only expert out of all of us. There were 9 or 10 of us total, and most of us were terrified at first since all the other people there were in camo and had all this pro stuff, but we played each other in a small court first. Of course, I got shot in the one exposed part of my forehead in the first game, and the paint splattered down in to my face on the inside of my mask, and I got some in my mouth which tasted awful so without thinking I spit it out...funny...since I still had a mask on! Overall I only got hurt by one shot in the thigh, and had a great time. I wish I got in to it quicker, I didn't really let loose until the last game, but it was a blast.

I have been so bitter about my schedule lately. I worked too much last week, well, every week for that matter. I am the only student on small animal medicine this time around who has been unlucky enough to have treatment shifts or patients to take care of EVERY weekend, so no days off yet...I am going to beg the doctor on this weekend to let me and jess share cases so we both get a day off, but every other student already got at least one day off. Gulliver, the boxer I want, came back in to tufts to have his ex fix taken care of. I love him and want to adopt him so bad.

Warning, I am going to brag again and hope that it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt cause I prefer to be modest...but Dr. Mahoney had to evaluate us this week today instead of tomorrow since she is off tomorrow. I was not sure what to expect. Dr. Mahoney is very proper, with an irish accent and everything ha!, but she is very formal and nice, but not the joking or laid back type. I warned myself to not expect a great eval since she seemed so distant. Well, I went in to the eval and she started like they all do asking how I thought the week went and asking what I want to do with my life. I ended up talking to her about how I want to go in to wildlife/academia etc., and my past vet experience. At the end of my talking she said "Well, I am sure you will be a great wildlife vet, but I hope you change your mind since you would be an amazing small animal vet. You have great initiative. You have an enthusiasm that is hard to match. And you have a great knowledge base. You write wonderful SOAPs and reports, and you know an incredible amount for this point in your career. I just hope that you keep small animal medicine in the back of your mind as a potential career option in the future cause you would be a great asset to the profession." Nice. : ) I was so flattered I did not know what to say other then smile and thank her a lot, and turn a bit red.

3 comments:

Jess said...

That's really cool what that Dr. said to you! If I were a dog, I'd want you to be my doctor. :) Jackie wishes you were her doctor. :) That boxer IS really cute. What's w/ the metal mouth? Braces? If you want, Dev and I could adopt him until you have more time! NOOOO problem! Devin might not agree... but oh well. :) Take care hun and I'll cross my fingers that you get a day off SOON!

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

lol. just what my sister and devin need... a new house AND a new dog. hehehe.