Saturday, December 25, 2010

Bloody Christmas in the Hospital

I have to admit, working Christmas year after year is starting to get to me...this is my 4th Christmas working in a row.
In fact, I have worked the last 3 Thanksgivings, the last 4 Christmases, and after next week the last 4 New year's eves and days. I don't really remember what it is like to have a holiday off, but I know what it is like to be jealous of everyone that like most normal people has both the holiday and the days around it off! I don't actually want a ton of time to see family, it would get overwhelming, but just one day would be nice.
I was thinking that since I have worked so many holidays in the last 3-4 years that I should request Christmas off next year (I don't want to request Thanksgiving off since I am not a fan of a holiday that centers a dead bird in the middle of the table, but I am happy to host my vegan version of Thanksgiving the weekend after).
Sadly though, my schedule in the residency changes every week, and the work week is Monday-Sunday. Since Xmas falls on a Sunday next year, that means if I request a vacation week the week of Xmas I will either have the week before it off, or the week after, which is a little awkward and might mean I feel jipped that I didn't get to relax with a couple days around the holiday. I could always just request that weekend off, but no guarantees I will get it off either. I guess I will have to think about it, will probably make the schedule in May or June for the next year anyways.
There are a decent amount of us stuck at work today. I wanted to bring a chocolate cake to share for food but sadly I forgot about it in the oven so it overcooked and got burnt. Instead I brought in salsa and chips from 711. For now, back to work! It was a busy night for the overnighter...this morning has been slow so far but it will be interesting to see how crazy of a day it turns out to be!

No comments: