Monday, December 6, 2010

vegan and gluten free thanksgiving

I have never been a huge fan of Thanksgiving since I went vegetarian since the holiday seems to be based around a dead turkey in the center of the table. But I hosted another vegan thanksgiving this year and had a great time!
I was working on the actual day of Thanksgiving, which I didn't mind. Then on the Friday after my extended family came up to visit. My grandma, two cousins, aunt and uncle made the drive from Albany and arrived around 1pm. We were able to walk around Boston and enjoy the views near our apartment, and then at 3pm we had a big meal. It was all vegan and mostly gluten free or my aunt and cousins.

The meal included the central tofurky with its gravy (the only non-gluten free part), a sweet three bean casserole recipe my mom gave me, mashed sweet potatoes, a rice and mushroom dish my aunt brought, and a vegan as well as gluten free chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. It was funny, before I made the meal I told Mark all the food I was making and he said it sounded like it would be too much, and once I made it he thought it would be too little, but it ended up being just the right amount. Sadly I can't post pictures of the meal since i took them on my camera and my computer just died so I have to wait until I get a new computer before I can upload pictures from my camera...otherwise all pictures will have to be posted from my phone.

It was a huge success and it was so nice having my family there. Sadly my mom and bro were on vacation in the Netherlands, but maybe next year they can make it. I am hoping to host a vegan Thanksgiving dinner the weekend after every Thanksgiving from now on.

No comments: