Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Vegan Indian Night

This was a fun combination of recipes I tried out. The Saag Paneer dish on the side was SUPER easy: In my wok I heated a little olive oil with 2TBsp garlic, 1 TBsp ginger, and 2 TBsp cumin. Then I added 1 bag frozen spinach and cooked it until it was heated through. Last I added a package of vegan chicken along with 3 TBsp margarine and 1 TBsp masala seasoning, and heated through. It was creamy and tasty. The samosa french toast was more of an issue to make (labor intensive) but totally worth it. First I boiled 8 little potatoes, then mashed them up in a large bowl (leaving the skins on) with 2 TBsp margarine. Then in a skillet I heated up 2 TBsp subflower oil with 1 tsp mustard seed, 1 tsp crushed coriander, 1 tsp tumeric, and 1 TBsp masala seasoning. Once heated I added 1 cup frozen peas and the potatoes from earlier. I cooked them together, mashing them up like they would be if they were the inside of a samosa. Towards the end I added 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cilantro, and 1 tsp cumin and mixed that in. Once this was all mashed together I let it cool. In a separate dish I whisked together 1 cup chapati flour with 2-ish cups water (basically started with one cup and added more as needed to get a batter like consistency), 1 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp vayenne pepper powder, 1 tsp masala seasoning, and 2 TBsp sunflower oil. Then I took two slices of bread, applied the samosa potato mixture to the inside, closed the bread like a sandwich, coated it with the chapati batter, and fried in sunflower oil until done. It took a while but was well worth it, amazing meal.

No comments: