Sunday, January 4, 2009

Traveling Mayhem

The London trip went well, but before I tell the details, I should tell you of the F*u# ups I caused. I got cheap deals, 6 nights hotel and round trip tickets to London for $950 each. Well, we flew to JFK and found my first mistake...we had to take ground transportation from Laguardia to JFK since we actually flew in to LaGuardia, which was a hassle and $13 extra bucks each. But we made it in time and the flight to London was a long but easy red-eye.

Once in London we got to our hotel, and more fine print I had missed was brought to my attention: our hotel location was amazing near the heart of London with a HUGE subway stop right around the corner, but being a European hotel it was small, and little did I know we were supposed to share bathrooms with other rooms....4 rooms (up to 8 people) to bathroom. I felt horrible. Mark was upset too, but said it would be fine as long as our room was a decent size.

Of course, we go up to the room, and it is TINY! I am a little used to that since I have stayed in European hotels before, but the ned was barely full size, and there was hardly enough room for our stuff. I felt miserable at this point and went downstairs to protest since Mark's feet hung off the bed and we would need to snuggle all night to fit in bed together/ Luckily, the hotel guy seemed to like me, and when he said "It's London honey, and that is a normal double sized room for two people, but I will give you the option of choosing one other different room: try room 9". We went together and room nine had two beds at opposite sides of the room, two tiny twins, but the difference: a shower. Still no toilet, but our own shower, so we took it in a heartbeat. The hotel guy laughed and said "You just got a free upgrade honey, I am sure you will love the shower." And we did. We were able to push the beds together at night since there was no way we could sleep in the same bed being that they were about the size for a 12 year old, but it worked out, and having our own shower was key. Sharing a toilet (there were three in the hotel, for about 12 rooms) worked out fine. There were only minimal traveling mishaps from then on, but now I should tell you about the trip...

No comments: