Thursday, January 16, 2014

vegan shrimp on the barbie quesadillas

I know a lot of people wonder why I like fake meat as a vegan, and often times question me saying things along the line of "aren't you missing the point?" or "why not just eat the real thing?" Well, those of you that know me better know that I went vegan for the animal rights aspect of it. And yes, I did like meat, the taste, smell, and texture of it, before I went vegan. But I ended up realizing that with my ethical beliefs I just could not justify eating flesh, something that meant I was taking a life in the process of enjoying my meal. So being a new vegan I was a fan of the fake meats. And they have come a long way since I went vegan. However, one area that is truly lacking is the meat that I miss the most: seafood. There are a couple brands of vegan shrimp or scallops, but none are really that good. This meal, with Sophie's fake breaded shrimp, was actually pretty good. I thawed them in the fridge the night before. First I sauteed 1 bag frozen corn, 2 diced zucchini, and 1 package chopped green onions in a little margarine. Using a mixture of vegan provolone and swiss cheese sliced in to strips, I placed them on a tortilla wrap in a skillet. Then I spread the fake shrimp over this, then the veggies, then another layer of fake cheese. Lastly another tortilla went on top. As always I struggled most with flipping the quesadilla without losing the innards, but once crisp I served the quesadilla with barbecue sauce: really tasty, though the texture of vegan shrimp is a little unnerving.

No comments: