Monday, October 27, 2008

philadelphia and the end of an all too short vacation




Last week was my first vacation since I started clinics, and I still can't believe it is over already. It was fun, I guess. I had a doctor's appointment and spent much of the first 4 days getting paperwork, etc. done, working on research projects, studying for boards, etc. Luckily Mark and I did take a mini vacation. He took Friday off from work, and we left for Philly a little after 7am on Friday. We got to the zoo, our first stop, at around 1:30. It was a fun zoo, and althoguh expensive, I think it was worth the 3 hours visit.

Then we went downtown and checked in to our hotel. I had bid for a $100 room on priceline in downtown, and was surprised I got it at the Crowne Plaza. The hotel normally goes for $200-240 a night. Plus it was literally three blocks down from city hall, on the exact road with a great view too! We relaxed a bit before heading out for dinner at 8ish. We found lots of great places, but all with lines, so we ended up at the marathon grill where I got a delicious mushroom and eggplant sandwich. Then we went in search of a club to dance, which was also an experience. We found a place with cheap, good beer and no cover. There were an ok amount of people, but the DJ was not that great, and then to top it off hardly anyone was dancing, and those who were were so awkward. Mark suddenly pointed out "this city is full of black people, but did you notice there are NO black people here, and that no one can dance?" He was right, and I think that might of been contributing to the deficiency in decent dancing. We called it a night around 1am.

Mark was shocked (and pleased I think) that I slept in the next morning. Of course when I woke up at 10am I started panicking and acting like the world was ending since we had not gotten up yet, which also made Mark amused. We finally got going at noon and got some lunch. Sadly it was a yucky, cold, and rainy day. We did as much sight seeing as we could, checking out city hall, independence hall, the constitution center, reading market, etc. while we were cold and wet. We finished around 4pm and hit the road back home. It was a short and sweet trip. I was glad I did it since I have not seen Philly since I was 4. And I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear when we were driving home discussing how great the short trip was and Mark asks me "So what city is next?" I say London.

Sadly we did not get home until around midnight, and I had to get up at 6am to go in to school for an elective day of surgery at a feral cat clinic. I had a great time though, I did 3 cat neuters and 2 cat spays in 5 hours, more then doubling my surgical experience thus far.

No comments: