Tuesday, October 5, 2010

asparagus-linguine type dish: Blog #1 of vegan dishes

I think I am going to start posting recipes of REALLY good food I cook with pictures...but the first one I want to list I forgot to take a picture of, sorry!
But last week I decided to make a meal that was completely non-vegan, and I transformed it in to a vegan masterpiece! I warned Mark with all the fake stuff in it it would either be really good or really bad....luckily it was phenomenal!!

INGREDIENTS

1 bunch of asparagus, cut in to 1 inch chunks
5 Tbsp vegan margarine
1 white onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 cup vegan creamer (I used the Silk brand)
3 Tbsp chives, chopped
1 block vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded (I used follow your heart vegan gourmet cheese)
1 package soy ham, cut in to thin slices (I used Lightlife brand)
1 lb. linguine pasta

Boil pasta as directed until cooked
Boil the asparagus until tender
Drain the asparagus
Melt the margarine in a large skillet and then add the cooked asparagus and chopped onion to this.
Stir/saute until the onion wilts
Stir in the sherry and let saute for 3-5 minutes
Add the creamer and let it come to a simmer.
Add the soy ham, shredded mozzarella, and chives.
Remove from heat and in a separate boil combine this sauce with the cooked pasta.

The original non-vegan recipe also called for soy parmesan on the top at the end, but I didn't have time to go to whole foods to pick that up so I went without it.
It was delicious, I will definitely have to make it again...maybe for some non-vegans to show them how tasty fake can be sometimes!

No comments: