Friday, October 22, 2010

Mark's stir fry creation


Lately my quick and easy dinner in less then 30 minutes meal has been a stir fry of some sort...I keep frozen veggies well stocked in the freezer and always have some sort of fake meat around. Then I use these premade chinese sauce packets (vegan obviously) from the store and top is all over rice.
Last night I started to throw one together for Mark and I when he came over and decided to intervene, which is always a little funny to me since he has literally cooked me one meal in the three years we have been together, but then he acts like an expert when it comes to cooking. Well, I also know to just stand aside and let him take over otherwise I get irritated by all the back seat driver cooking tips.
So I fried up some veggies and tempeh while cooking rice, and then rather then place a packet of the orange mandarin sauce over it, Mark decided to add only half of the packet of that sauce along with lots of crushed red pepper, chili powder, and some cayenne pepper. He also added Cashews, which were a nice addition, but cashews are expensive so I was a little peeved when half the $6 jar of cashews went in to the meal. The result was a little spicy, maybe a little too oily (from the excess safflower oil), but overall tasty...I actually think the orange sauce in the background was the best part of it, but it is fun to experiment and still have a tasty meal with leftovers in less then 30 minutes.

No comments: