Thursday, October 14, 2010

quick and easy vegan fake chicken cashew curry



It is always nice when you decide last minute to put something together and it turns out to be delicious.
Mark and I were on the fence on Wednesday as to whether or not we wanted to go out for dinner or stay in. I wanted to go out, but seeing as I have no money that all depended on Mark's willingness to pay for me. His compromise was that I could make dinner for us and then he would pay for drinks when we went out.
Well, it worked out and I threw together this dish in 20 minutes, and what do you know it was excellent!

INGREDIENTS:
1.5c quinoa (uncooked)
1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 bag frozen broccoli florets or 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 cup sugar snap peas
1 box of Trader Joe's "Chicken Less Strips"
1 jar of Kitchens of India's "Rich Cashew and Cumin Cooking Sauce" (see attached picture)
1-2 TBsp olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
cook the quinoa according to the box/bag
If using frozen vegetables begin frying to thaw in a pan
Add a small amount of olive oil and the TJ's chickenless strips.
Stir fry for another 4-5 minutes
Add the chickpeas, beans, and any other fresh vegetables.
Stir fry for 4-5 minutes
Add the jar of Cashew Cooking Sauce and mix in, frying for an additional 4-5 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Serve the stir fry/curry over the quinoa.

Mark agreed, it was quite tasty. It was also hot, ad the closest I have ever come to cooking something at home that tasted like it was from an Indian restaurant.

Attached is a picture of some leftovers which I had for dinner tonight, and it was still tasty.
The only change I will make next time I throw this together is adding some peanuts or cashews to the stir fry.

No comments: