Thursday, October 7, 2010

vegan stuffed shells



Well, this vegan creation was mediocre, but I think I know what changes to make to it so that next time it is superb.
I borrowed some online and cookbook parts to make this dish...

Ingredients:
1 box jumbo shells
2 15oz. cans of tomato sauce
1 6oz. can tomato paste
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 bag of frozen broccoli florets
1 block vegan mozzarella
Vegan "ricotta" (recipe below)

Start boiling the pasta shells.

For the ricotta:
In a blender blend 1 block of tofu, 6oz. tofutti sour cream, 2 tsps. tahini, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. basil leaves, 2 Tbsp. oregano and some salt and pepper.
Once blended mix in the broccoli florets (I used a bag of the steamable broccoli so it only needed 5 minutes in the microwave before I could mix it in to the ricotta).

For Sauce: In a sauce pan saute the garlic in the olive oil, then mix in tomato cause, paste, and spices.
This is one thing I would do different next time...I thought making a sauce more from scratch would be better, but next time I will just use a pre made jar from the store.

Line a casserole dish with a layer of sauce. Then fill each cooked shell with some of the ricotta mix and place open side up in the dish. Once full, cover with a layer of sauce. Then sprinkle with vegan mozzarella (here was my second mistake....rather then use my favorite block of vegan mozzarella which requires shredding the cheese I used vegan rice milk flavored mozzarella strips and shredded them by hand....although the other cheese takes more work to shred it tastes SO much better, I will have to get it next time.

Once assembled cook at 375 for 35-40 minutes.
I took a picture of the shells before I put the sauce on them but sadly can't post it...I just found out my picasa web album is at its limit so I will have to adjust that first and then post it.

No comments: