Friday, April 5, 2013

amazing comfort food

This was my last veganized dish of the week and god damn it was good. Mark eats fake meat that I cook all the time but he is not a fan of the fake cheese. I convinced him to try this dish and he was glad that he did, he said it was the most real tasting any vegan cheese dish I have ever made. So first I took one package of frozen broccoli and boiled it until cooked as well as one package macaroni and cooked that. Then mixed these together in a large bowl. I also added one "vegan egg" to this- which is basically 1TBsp of the eggless mixture with 3TBsp water. Then for the sauce: I shredded one block of vegan daiya havarti cheese and had it read along with a package od daiya cheddar. In a sauce bowl I placed one stick of vegan amrgarine (8TBsp) an melted it, then whisked in 1/2 cup flour, 3 cups almond milk, 2 TBsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp onion powder. I whisked this together until boiling then lowered the heat and added the havarti andd cheddar cheese, mixing in until melted. Once the sauce was done I added it to the macaroni and broccoli mixture. Then I poured it into pre-made pie dishes (just make sure you read the label, some have lard in them, these were from Whole Foods and vegan and organic pie crusts, if they are frozen just make sure you bring them to room temp first). This recipe is enough to make and fill/cook two pie crusts, which I did since I am working the next 8 days in a row next week and will need the leftovers. Once the mixture was in the pie crusts, I sliced a bunch of roma tomatoes and placed this on top. Finally, for the topping, I mixed together pre-made vegan breadd crumbs with 2 TBsp melted margarine a 1 TBsp dried parsley flake, then topped the pies with this. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. AMAZING. Truly I think one of the best dishes I have ever made of all time.

No comments: