Wednesday, October 2, 2013

BBQ Mac and Cheese dish

I know, I know, I have said it a thousand times, but I do truly believe that everything is better with BBQ sauce. So this dish involved just that, as well as leftovers again while we tried to use up all the food in our fridge before moving cross country.
First I cooked up some macaroni noodles as well as fried up some vegan trader joes chicken strips in a tiny bit of oil. I added a little cayenne pepper and garlic powder to the fake chicken while frying it. Lastly I boiled some peas that were hanging out in the freezer while this was all occurring. Once the pasta was cooked I placed it in to a casserole dish and mixed in the fake chicken and peas. Lastly I made the cheese sauce. In a sauce pan I boiled 4 TBsp margarine and once melted whisked in 4 TBsp flour, 2 cups soymilk, an 1/2 cup soy cream. Once this was all mixed together I added one package of daiya mozzarella cheese and 12 package daiya cheddar cheese. I continued to mix that in for about 30-60 seconds, as it melted really quick in the boiling mixture. This was immediately poured on top of the casserole and mixed in with the remaining ingredients. Finally I sprinkled a bunch of bread crumbs as well as some vegan parmesan cheese on top, and placed the dish in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. The finishing touch of course was the barbecue sauce, and this was the most amazing comfort food I have made in a while.

No comments: