Wednesday, October 2, 2013

melt in your mouth vegan peanut tofu dish

This dish took quite a while to prepare but was well worth the effort. The dish is served on top of rice, so start cooking that while you prepare the rest. I had the TJ's high protein tofu that I cut in to 1 inch thick triangles first, and tossed in a mixture of 2 TBsp garlic, 1 tsp pepper, 2 tsp cumin, and 1/4 cup peanut oil, all in a tupperware container. This was then placed in the fridge while I continued cooking. In a saucepan I mixed up 1 TBsp peanut oil with 1 TBsp ginger powder, 1 tsp onion powder, and 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Then I added 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter to the sauce pan along with 1 TBsp lime juice, 1 can coconut milk, and 2 TBsp soy sauce. This was heated at low for about 15 minutes, with lots of stirring. While this was simmering I cooked up two bags of prepackaged broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower in a wok with a small amount of canola oil. Once these were cooked I put them aside in a large bowl and then took out the tofu and fried that up with all the sauce it was soaking in in the wok. Once browned, the tofu was removed and mixed in with the veggies. Once all this is done you serve the tofu and veggies over rice with some peanut sauce. You can also sprinkle some ground peanuts on top if you have them.

No comments: