Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Eggplant pizza

It's funny how sometimes I buy a particular veggie or product, only to remember I never really liked it and not sure why I would try to now. Butternut squash, bananas, and eggplant are the two things that fit that category most. Sometimes I see it in the store on sale and I feel inclined to buy it, only to remember I am a fan of many recipes i have made in the past with those products. Well, I bought some eggplant last week, and then as I searched for new recipes nothing looked good. Vegan versions of eggplant parm looked gross as I thought of the texture of the eggplant, which makes me nauseous. I quickly realized I was an idiot to buy it, but then I found an eggplant pizza recipe that looked reasonable. It involved grilled eggplant, and since I didn't have a grill I ended up chopping my eggplant in to tiny cubes instead, and frying it in a little olive oil first.
Then for the pizza I first put a layer of pizza sauce on the dough, then topped it with chopped up eggplant, tomatoes, spinach, and black olives. The original recipe I had called for provolone on top, and since i had these new slices of daiya vegan provolone in the fridge, I sliced the slices into thin strips and topped the pizza with it. This was then baked at 450 for 10 minutes. Mark and I loved the result. I had too many toppings to fit on one pizza, and so today I made a veggie wrap with the remaining toppings and a little italian dressing, which was also good. I think the fact that I made the eggplants tiny little cubes allowed for me to appreciate the flavor without the texture, so maybe I can like eggplant afterall.

No comments: